Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Random Pictures


districts of Seoul


I happened to see this on a wall one day




Meaning of "Hof" in Korea


calligraphy in the subway












outside Seoul Station





City Hall & Seoul Plaza







SNU





I have never in my life been a target of religious recruitment as often as in Korea. I was randomly approached on campus a number of times by people who wanted me to join their church, English or not. I had never experienced this before. On one occasion the people seemed desperate to convert me, and made it very difficult for me to politely decline and continue on my way.
I'm adding these next two pictures because I was approached by people from this organization five times, on campus and even as I was on my way to a concert. Each time a woman recognized that I'm obviously a foreigner and talked to me in English. They never mention anything having to do with religion. Instead, they chatted with me about where I'm from or where I'm going, and then introduced their English magazine. There are two thin magazines instead of one though. On top is a cover for a problem they mention to you, such as crime and safety or, as is the case in the picture, having too much stuff. The first time I was approached I hadn't even realized that the person I just talked to was trying to spread their religion. It was only later on, when I took a look at the papers I received, that I saw the Jehovah's Witness magazine - the real reason they gave me these things. Anyway, I was struck by their approach and how often I was approached by English-speaking Korean people for this cause.












No comments:

Post a Comment