Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Korea Queer Festival 2013

The festival and parade were held on Saturday in Hongdae.
I wasn't feeling well on that day to begin with. In addition, I was extremely sleep-deprived, my throat hurt, and I spent hours standing outside in the sun. In other words, I felt like shit. The festival was still enjoyable though.
There were several booths with information and things. All in Korean though.
The festival was small, but I thought that many people were there. It was quite crowded. Also, there were so many foreigners. At times I thought I was in the U.S.
There were some dance performances and drag queens as well as some other performances. Most of the drag queens were foreigners. I liked the dance performances at the very end of the festival.
The parade was nice. I didn't get a good look at the floats in the front though.
At one point I went to a nearby convenience store to buy water but it was sold out. It was really hot that day.

Normally I take a ton of photographs, but I knew beforehand that I probably won't take many pictures at this festival because it's an LGBT event and this is Korea.
My understanding is that in the past, people who didn't want to be photographed wore stickers indicating so. Like the no smoking sign, but with a camera replacing the cigarette. They didn't have that here this time. Instead, if you wanted to take pictures at this festival you had to sign a form first.
In this case, I just enjoyed the festival and didn't worry about photographing everything. So I don't really have photos. Therefore I can't share much concerning this experience.
Since it was crowded I probably wouldn't have gotten good photos anyway.

First, I started seeing these around campus last week




On Saturday, when I exited the subway and was on my way to the festival area


Also, these were hanging on all the food stands in Hongdae that day


plenty of these in the area as well


Actually, I believe that most Koreans don't know what the rainbow flag stands for.

At the festival I had to read and sign a form to confirm that I understand the guidelines for taking pictures at the festival. It basically explained that photos can out people and that could lead to problems with jobs or housing. Most people don't want to be photographed. It can be risky to be seen at a queer festival. Always ask before taking someone's picture. Take pictures from a distance so that people's faces can't be recognized. And so on.
I had to give them my name, email address, phone number, and signature. I also had to check off boxes indicating what I intend to do with the photos I take at the festival. I said it's just for personal use to view in private and I mentioned that I'd probably put some on my blog. No newspapers or anything. I was told it's fine as long as I blur out people's faces when I post online.

I had to wear this


brief summary of the guidelines


the stage


famous people
such as Harisu and Kim Jho Gwangsoo




during the parade



a few random pictures







there were many paper fans at the festival. I ended up with this one



Like most days, the weather was unbearably hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment