Hello
Since it's March now I'm going to post more of my own photos and stuff. I waited until March to begin because of archiving purposes.
I've mentioned this briefly in Korean, but I am studying abroad in Seoul.
There are many exchange and visiting students from all over the world. I've met people from Germany, Mexico, France, Sweden, Austria, Poland, the U.S., Brazil, the U.K., China, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan.
Also, I just checked Facebook and I saw a lot of updates from people about how they've been accepted to study abroad. People I know from high school are going to Ireland, France, and Japan. Now that I think about it, I already know five people who are studying abroad in Japan right now. I also have friends who plan on studying abroad next year.
I'm not sure if this is because of where I'm from but it really seems like people would love to study abroad. It's interesting. I think my generation likes to travel. I get jealous when I see that people I know on Facebook are in India or Japan or South Africa or wherever.
I also think this is notable because I have the feeling Americans don't travel much. This could be for a number of reasons. First of all, the U.S. is a large country. It takes six hours to fly from Boston to L.A. I forget how long it took to fly to Hawaii but it could be almost twice as long. The U.S. is not like countries in Europe. The U.S. only borders Mexico in the very south and Canada to the very north. There's a lot in the middle.
This is opposed to Germany, which borders nine countries all around. I can easily drive to Austria or the Czech Republic from where I stay in Germany. All my German relatives do a lot of traveling too. Maybe because there are a lot of travel packages and Germany is close to many different places or something.
People in the U.S. often don't have the money or the time, and even traveling within the country can cover a great amount of distance. In most cases we'd have to leave the continent and fly for hours across an ocean to reach popular destinations.
My German relative asked me a few years ago why I don't go on vacations with my friends. It's impossible. Even though a lot of people in my town have a lot of money, it's not really an option. American high school students can't just take off to Greece or Spain on their own. In my case, it's mainly because my friends don't have the money at all (keep in mind the ridiculously high cost of college in the U.S.) and their parents would never ever allow it. Nobody does it. I also wouldn't know how to do it. In Germany I could easily go to a travel agency or something, but I'm not sure how people make travel plans in the U.S. Probably online. I leave all that to my parents.
I really want to travel and I've only been to around a dozen countries or so but it's not enough and maybe it's because the world is becoming more accessible or something but it seems like a lot of people my age want to go places and are finally making that happen.
No comments:
Post a Comment