Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Plastic Surgery Advertisements

Almost all the plastic surgery clinics in Seoul are located in the district of Gangnam. That may be why it's much more likely you'll see an ad for a plastic surgery clinic inside the subway car of a subway line that goes through Gangnam. While large advertisements for plastic and cosmetic surgery clinics can be seen around Seoul, it's not that common, and the most ads are found in Gangnam by far. It's noticeable.
Additionally, Apgujeong  (압구정) and Sinsa (신사) stations are subway stations in Gangnam that are just covered with plastic surgery advertisements. It's literally all that is advertised. These ads are everywhere: by the subway platform, on the walls, in the stairwells leading out of the station. Most of my pictures were taken there. Since I ended up collecting photos of plastic surgery ads, I wanted to take more photos at some of these stations. Then I realized that there's no point. I already have many photos, and I can't photograph every single advertisement I see. Also, I don't tend to feel comfortable taking photos anyway because it's easy for me to stand out and I'm usually alone, but I really don't enjoy taking photos of these ads because here's this foreigner taking pictures of plastic surgery ads. you know :/
Plastic surgery, aesthetic, and dermatology clinics are abundant in some of these areas. If you look at the surrounding area by Apgujeong station, you'll see many clinics marked on the map (of which I have some blurry photos). I've seen a few people with their noses taped up.

First, here are some links for reading:
Plastic surgery, 'Gangnam-style'

Plastic Surgery in Korea: To Do or Taboo?

Impossible ideals: The true costs of Korea’s beauty standards?

Gombo

Foreign tourists choose 'plastic surgery' as Korea's bizarre cultural trait


As for what Korean people I talked to have to say: I don't have much to offer. I don't think it's appropriate of me to go up to people and question them about whether they've had surgery. I haven't asked any Korean people about plastic surgery in general in South Korea either.
I have heard from some KU students, when they commented on all the ads, that the after pictures all look the same, and that with plastic surgery everyone will look more similar. When I was on the subway with my Korean friend on our way to Hongdae several weeks ago, I noticed an ad and couldn't understand what it was saying, so I asked my friend what is said. I was curious. Instead of translating it for me, she said she doesn't like that there are so many ads for plastic surgery because tourists will see it and they may make assumptions about Korea. Foreigners and tourists will obviously see it if they go to Gangnam. She said that it's just too much. She added that it's not untrue that many Koreans do get plastic surgery, because they do, but she doesn't think it's good that it's so apparent due to all the ads. She kept repeating "too much".

Anyway, here are my photos. Though most of the photos have before and after pictures, not all ads are like that. Some just show surgeons and others only consist of writing.
I am aware that there are repeats.







































You don't even have to leave your house to see these ads. Online ads






V line



receive free plastic surgery coupons! from a Facebook event page


other


No comments:

Post a Comment